Thursday, August 22, 2013

Diving in North of Bali

Diving North Bali
Immerse behind the veil of North Bali

Why scuba divers prefer north Bali dive sites to more conveniently located southern spots? Why they are willing to spend after long flights to Bali additional four hours to get here? Masochism? Proving something? Or...?

a) you can still find dive spots with more fish than divers
b) you can still find dive centers fueled by passion for diving
c) you can still find places to unwind and immerse into your holidays
d) you can still find your diving soul-mates, for instance by clicking on easy divers of Bali


South of Bali is where the airport is. Dive operators will pick you up at your hotels and drop you in the water. Sometimes even pick you up when you surface. In most (if not all) cases the only personal attention you will get is aimed towards your cash or credit card.
Not exactly what diving used to be.
And should remain.
When you, me, our scuba friends are looking for diving vacations we want something much better than this. And are willing to take the proverbial extra step to get it.

Is north of Bali really so different from south?
No, not anymore.
As a big majority of businesses (including dive businesses) are operated on principles that guarantee your overall dissatisfaction, it's not very prudent to just jump into the hands of the first beach (or street) bum attacking you with unbeatable offers.
Businesses where you as a person mean exactly zero, your payment is the only thing that counts, are not limited just to local population. Some Western operators will easily win this game. When it comes to promising you stars and heaven and delivering mud and sleaziness local tourist catchers are just babes in the woods compared to their western counterparts.

What we are looking for is a small minority of old fashioned dive businesses. Businesses, which mindsets are still focused on good diving and not ripping you off with 50% off on prices and 95% off on quality of services you get. Where you will be accepted fully, where you will be a guest of the chosen diving outfit, sure, a paying guest for services you agree, but with all the benefits of a true guest. Where owner and staff will share your joys, pleasures and sometimes sorrows without mental arithmetic what's the profit margin for this. Where you can immerse not only in fantastic waters, but also in our way of life, thinking, feelings, priorities and culinary preferences.


Where to look for something worthwhile of your diving vacations in northern part of Bali?
Sumberkima? Banyuwedang? Penyabangan? Desa Sayamauuang? Ghost resort village of Lovina?
As I've been reminded to instill an element of suspense in my posts - if these hints are not exactly your cup of tea, wait till next Thursday...

13 comments:

  1. as i love diving especially for underwater wonders i would have chosen answer a) before coming to north bali. while staying with easy divers i discovered there are more possible answers. for instance b) and c). after holidays sitting in airplane i would have chosen answer d).
    now, reading this post i think choosing is not the right thing. i take answers a-d) and add e) the pictures in my head and heart i will never forget ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more. Nicely written! ;)

      Delete
  2. This blog could have come straight from my heart!
    You may be certain, all the answers are right.
    We have experienced all kind of dive-centers in different parts of Bali and the world. All we can say is diving and being with Easy Divers in Pemuteran is definitively like being with sole-mates.
    This year my husband and I will have a journey of more than 40 hours to get to Pemuteran.
    We take this torture upon oneself, because seeing Dusan, Jana and there team again, is like coming home.
    We are are already very exited to meet them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could say the same.. But one day hopefully I'm gonna go back again.. Have some fun for me too :)

      Delete
  3. Agrrr, it so bad just to read about it and not being there at the moment. I am really looking forward to come back again. But next time with my broom. ;)
    Well,...diving in North of Bali is obviously awesome. And with DuĊĦan and his team it is very professional(you feel really safe)and at the same time it is a Big fun. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can add my lamentation. You guys are visiting me on the screen, and I'd love you to be today with me on the boat...
    OK, if not today, soon...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not a diver but I would still choose north Bali, Pemuteran of course. Again and again. And the easiest explanation is answer c)you can still find places to unwind and immerse into your holidays. And a day spent with Easy divers Bali team is just like cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ket, dear honorary member of our club, as a renegade scuba preacher I repeat: scuba diving is state of mind and heart and not state of a piece of plastic denoting you are a diver.
    Welcome anytime - with a regulator or with a snorkel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a few springs now, since I dived down there, and although I believe there just might be people out there with more diving experiences than me, I can safely say those were the best dives I had so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ziggy, I hope you are not leading some Jehovah's Witnesses scuba sect nowadays. Running a compressor on top of a mountain and waiting for ocean to rise...
      About time to come back again!
      BTW, I'll not let you run my dive shop again - not even for the day ;)

      Delete
    2. Damn! And I was already preparing not-so-hostile take-over, while you'd be diving! :D

      And no, I'm not doing that. I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the mountains with compressor... We're waiting in the lowlands, with dive computers demolished, so there will be no problem with dive being longer than it would be if we were in the mountains!

      Delete
  8. Well when I was there 3 years ago, the difference between north and south was huge. Too many people in the south, so I prefer north way more :) Also a perfect name "Easy divers", 'cause everything is really really easy going there :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. Scuba diving Bali

    ReplyDelete