Thursday, June 7, 2012

Are you a diver?

A journey into the blue
In a very unlikely event, you would have to answer no, I am not a diver, what message you are sending to your social environment?

a)      I am a homeless, jobless bum and I can not afford diving
b)      it’s beyond my abilities to understand – open the valve, breathe in, breath out, press this button – I don’t get it
c)      I do engage in several outdoor activities, I am surfing the net for hours every day, however, to strap on SCUBA gear and swim – that is way to much
d)     well, I am a looser

These are the images sellers of mobile phones, soft drinks, travels, cars, diving services etc are trying to trigger (usually successfully) in your minds.
And, as you have some money, good brain, you are physically fit and definitely not a looser, you will prove it by doing what you are expected to do.

As much as I love diving I hate the wrong marketing techniques aimed to spread diving even among the people who simply do not have any interest in this activity.

If you are a little hesitant whether to try your first dive in your life or not – great! We will start slowly, gently, you will be safely introduced to a new experience.
If you decide time is not yet ripe for this – enjoy some snorkeling and fruit cocktails on the beach, also an excellent choice.
If you are diving already for a while and want another dose of pleasure – perfect.

Just never use the diving to prove something or to impress somebody.
If you are a decent citizen you have so many other ways available to follow the path of multinational brainwashers (oops, marketing departments). Just buy a newly advertised toy and you will be a respected member of the system.

And we can keep SCUBA diving for our pleasure, new sensations, new experiences, as a reward and not as a task we have to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment